Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I have returned. But not completely.

I am home safe but not sound. Before leaving on this recent journey I was pretty secure with my place in the world. I felt like I was fairly educated and had seen much of what there is to see, thus I could not really be surprised by much at this point in my life. I was a little jaded maybe a little too cynical as well. Why did I need to travel when I have the world at my finger tips via a keyboard and a remote control. I could see the world and never leave my house. You know just like the cruise-ship commercials promise "Taste cuisine from around the world, without even having to leave the boat!"

So imagine my surprise when I leave my house for the outside world and I discover there are actually things that I never saw on my computer monitor. As a photographer you would think I would have striven to see new things if only for the benefit of making an interesting image. But I had become sedentary and wasn't doing much more than treading water. It's easy to come back from a trip and fall right back into your old habits, but even though I have only been back for a week now, I absolutely refuse to let that happen. I feel like if that were to happen everything I had just experienced would be for nothing. In one ear and out the other. The remedy for this is to just keep going and take everything in. Not just to be a better photographer but to become a better person.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My trip begins in Dallas to see my friends and family before leaving for South America. Gary and Jordan have more to do with me seeking a career in photography than any another other peers. There is a good chance that I would not be taking pictures today had I not met these two in class several years ago.
Gary
Gary - Dallas,TX

Jordan
Jordan - Dallas, TX

Studio
Gary's Studio - Dallas, TX

No comments: